FDNY Information


Fire performing is a captivating art form that can make an event unforgettable. It’s beautiful, visceral, and of course, it’s dangerous. Until recently, booking fire performers for events was unregulated, and filing for a permit was confusing and often overlooked.


As of January 2016, The FDNY Explosives Unit began issuing licenses called Certificate of Fitness. "CoF" E-29 for Fire Performers and "CoF" E-28 for Fire Producers . This new system can help event promoters to book performers who uphold safety standards as set by the fire performing community and also comply with FDNY regulations. This will allow for more legal fire performances to happen throughout the city.


Performing with fire legally is like driving a car, you need to take a safety course, like Combustion Inc. Fire Safety Class part 1, or FAI Online Course. You need a license, called a Certificate of Fitness. You of course need insurance "to drive" or spin fire, in case of an accident. Lastly, your “car”, or the venue, needs a permit for the fire show, like an inspection sticker. Permits are site specific and show specific.



Legal Fire Outside of NYC